Got Water?

"Water comprises more of the brain (with estimates of 90%) than any other organ of the body, with muscles next at 75%, and then kidneys. Under normal conditions, it is recommended a person drink one third of an ounce of water per pound of body weight each day, with that amount doubled or tripled in times of stress." Let me do the math for you. A child who weighs 40 pounds should be drinking at least 14 ounces of water a day. That doesn't seem like a lot, but when I really think about it, I'm not sure my children drink that much water every day. Besides that, drinking or eating caffeine, salt, or sugar increases the amount of pure water required to stay properly hydrated. We don't consume much of either of these three substances at my house, but it has given me reason to re-think our routine. Thirst is not necessarily a good indicator. Your already behind by then, so I recommend keeping a glass of water handy throughout the day. Remind yourself and your child to take a drink of it often.

pg. 138 "Smart Moves: Why Learning Is Not All In Your Head" By Carla Hannaford

No comments:

Post a Comment