Quiet, please!


I have recently had some trouble with my voice and one of the things I was instructed to do by the doctor was to limit my speaking and singing to only absolutely necessary things for the next three months. This has created quite an interesting situation for me. First of all, telling me not to walk around singing, is like telling a fish not to swim. That, in and of itself, has been a challenge, for singing is so much a part of who I am. However, what has really intrigued me most is the reaction that my lack of vocalization has had on me, as well as those around me.

It has caused me to re-think some things and here is what I have discovered.


  • You can say just as much with a few words if you choose them carefully.

  • The volume and timbre of your voice can have a tremendous effect on your attitude and behavior as well as everyone else around you.

  • Actions speak louder than words.

  • You find out more when you listen more.

  • Communication and talking are not necessarily the same thing.

  • THANK GOD for written language! :-)

I hope this gives you some food for thought. I look forward to hearing your reflections on this, and I'll talk with you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment