The Self-less Child

As a teacher and parent, it concerns me when I see children who are lacking proper life skills necesarry for sucess in school and even later in life. I am always looking for ways to teach my children basic life skills like cooking and cleaning as well as skills like humility, a servant heart, and gratefulness. I recently read a great book called Raising Unselfish Children in a Self-Absorbed World. The book begins by describing parenting philosophies and why raising a "happy" child full of self-esteem may not be best for our children. This certainly peeked my curiosity. I had always thought of self-esteem as a good thing for children to have, but after reading this book, I have rethought some of my parenting beliefs.

Here's an excerpt from the overview on the Barnes & Noble website:
It's never too late to reshape your child's heart and develop a parenting plan that starts right where you are. Shining the light of reality on the failed self-esteem philosophy, Rigby will show you how to gently "bump" children off self-center and instill in them an others-centered heart and a healthy self-respect.

It's a great read, and I hope you enjoy "thinking" through this book as much as I did!


No comments:

Post a Comment