The Drover's Dream



We just started a new summer camp, Zoo Train, for the toddlers. One of the songs we danced to this week is an instrumental song called Drover's Dream. It's one of my favorites! I have danced to this song at least a hundred times, but I never knew it was actually an old Australian folk song till today. It's a about a Drover (they rounded up sheep in Australia) who falls asleep on his night watch and dreams of a zany animal parade. There are several slight variations on the words, and you can find many different recordings on You Tube. Please be advised, that if you want to listen to this song with your child, the versions I found on You Tube contained the word "h*ll" at the end.
The Drover's Dream Lyrics
One night when travelling sheep, my companions lay asleep There was not a star to illuminate the sky I was dreaming, I suppose, for my eyes were nearly closed When a very strange procession passed me by First there came a kangaroo, with his swag of blankets blue A dingo ran beside him for a mate They were travelling mighty fast, and they shouted as they passed "We'll have to jog along, it's getting late"The pelican and the crane, they came in from off the plain To amuse the company with a Highland Fling The dear old bandicoot played a tune upon his flute And the native bears sat round them in a ring The drongo and the crow sang us songs of long ago While the frill-necked lizard listened with a smile And the emu standing near with his claw up to his ear Said, "Funniest thing I've heard for quite a while" The frogs from out the swamp, where the atmosphere is damp Came bounding in and sat upon the stones They each unrolled their swags and produced from out their bags The violin, the banjo and the bones The goanna and the snake, and the adder wide awake With the alligator danced "The Soldier's Joy" In the spreading silky oak the jackass cracked a joke And the magpie sang "The Wild Colonial Boy" Some brolgas darted out from the tea-tree all about And performed a set of Lancers very well Then the parrot green and blue gave the orchestra its cue To strike up "The Old Log Cabin in the Dell." I was dreaming, I suppose, of these entertaining shows But it never crossed my mind I was asleep Till the Boss beneath the cart woke me up with such a start Yelling, "Dreamy, where the heck are all the sheep?"
Thank you Sally, my Aussie mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment