lessons from the river


We arrived Friday in western North Carlina for our summer vacation. It has been great to get away and just rejuvenate and reflect on the highs and lows of this year. As I sat by the river today, I smiled. My children were being instructed in important life lessons. You know the ones; how to skip a rock, where to find salamanders, and the fact that fool's gold, while pretty, is really just a sparkly rock. I love seeing the world, with all it's wonder, along-side my children. I know that no one knows them better than my husband and me. In fact, I will always be their best teacher.

Six years ago, when I was researching what type of music program I wanted to start, that was the point that sold me on Kindermusik. The Kindermusik philosophy is that the parent is the child's best teacher. Often times, parents come into my class unsure. Like me, they wonder how their children are turning out. Am I doing this right? It's not like they come with instruction manuals, you know! I think one of the biggest things you take away from my class is finding you are not alone in your thoughts or struggles. There is a certain amount of empowerment in that. Mistakes or not, you'll realize that all the little things in life add up to something greater. In the end, your children will walk away to begin teaching their own life lessons from the best classroom they could have had; your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment