a few more thoughts

I hope you are enjoying the blog series here on gifted children. In thinking about what we've discussed so far, I have become concerned about two things. First, I don't want to represent gifted children in a negative light. I realize that so far I have painted the gifted child as a rather complex, sensitive, strong-willed individual. While this is true, it does not adequately show the more joyful side of raising a gifted child.
  • They have a keen sense of humor
  • Their large vocabulary gives them a unique and engaging way with words
  • They have a zest for learning new things, which can often be contagious
  • They are highly creative, both with problem solving and pretend play

Secondly, I don't want parents to misinterpret the information in my previous posts and think that all challenging children are gifted or that high intelligence excuses poor behavior. Neither of these statements are true. There are many characteristics that combine to identify a gifted child. If you'd like to read more about that, I encourage you to click here. All children require proper guidance in order to become healthy, productive adults. As a parent, you can use your unique knowledge of your child's strengths, weaknesses, and personality to better understand how to accomplish this task.

No comments:

Post a Comment