Sally-Ann - "Favorite Things" contest

Here is entry number four for the "Favorite Things" contest.

I have been thinking long and hard about what to write. I have been blessed with children that are very talented musically, so it is hard to narrow down any one favorite musical experience with my children. As I have been sorting through the cobwebs of my mind to come up with the "one" experience to share, I started thinking about my first experiences with music. My Mum always sang me songs. I remember sitting on my Mum's lap in front of the fireplace in our kitchen while she sang.......
"There was a little girl,
Who had a little curl
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good
She was very, very good
But when she was bad
She was horrid!"

Another favorite

"Sing a song of sixpence pocket full of rye
Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie
When the pie was open the birds began to sing
Now wasn't that a dainty dish to set before the king?
The king was in his counting house counting out his money
The queen was in the parlour eating bread and honey
The maid was in the garden pegging out the clothes
When along came a blackbird and pecked off her nose!"

Now for my all time favorite!

"Goosey goosey gander where shall you wander?
Upstairs and downstairs
In the lady's chamber
There I met an old man who wouldn't say his prayers
So I grabbed him by the left leg and threw him down the stairs!!"

My mother had a beautiful singing voice and I can remember her singing these songs to me. I cry when I hear "How Great Thou Art" because in my mind I can still hear her singing that beautiful hymn.
I sang these silly songs to my older children and I still sing them to Samuel. I have always sung songs to my children.
"I love Mummy, she loves me.
We love Daddy, yes sirree;
He loves us, and so you see,
We are a happy family.
I love sister, she loves me.
We love brother, yes sirree;
He loves us, and so you see,
We are a happy family."

I usually change the words around in this song a little so we use the children's names. With Samuel I made up a silly little song and started to sing it to him in the hospital just after he was born. It calmed him down then and calms him down now! The lyrics aren't award winning, but the song has stuck!
"I love Sam
He's my man
I love Sam
I love Sam
He's my man
I love Sam"
All this leads me to the moment I want to share. Sam was held a lot when he was little. We had waited so long for him, I didn't want to put him down, I loved the feel of him in my arms. I would sing and sing and sing to him. One evening I was cradling him in front of me and singing his strange little song. Sam wasn't very old and definitely couldn't talk yet, but he started to sing with me cooing and aaahhing. He kept in tune perfectly. We sat there singing for the longest time.
Sam is a little boy of few words, but at home he sings all day. He sings songs from Kindermusik, songs from Sunday School and our families made up songs. We sing at night before going to bed......"Hush little baby, don't make a sound", or, "I am a child of God, and He has sent me here, has given me an earthly home, with parents kind and dear."
There is no "one" favorite musical moment, life is to full of them to choose.

No comments:

Post a Comment